Wednesday 10 July 2013

Better late than never


Yes that's right the mackerel have arrived! Unfortunately as predicted not in the numbers that we would usually expect. The water temperatures are still a few degrees below our average for this time of year but nonetheless this 'too-tasty for its own-good' fish has most certainly been thin on the ground in comparison to previous years.

Not that it has much impact on the grand scheme of things but personally I don’t buy into commercial fishing and that means at some point in the season I'm going to kill fish in order for me to eat something tasty. 

Mackerel with sauté potatoes, chorizo and cherry tomatoes

I've also been back out targeting the wrasse which are rapidly becoming my favourite sport-fish. With a new-found love for my 2-7 gram rod I am continuing to hone my skills and feel much more confident with the set-up than I did last year. I think now that I have become accustomed to the rough environments we frequent and know what to expect from our intended quarry, I have become more willing, and able to push my tackle to its limits. 




I still have to nail a lot of smaller fish to get the odd specimen but that to me is where the fun is at. I'm glad to have come full-circle and am back in line with my early days as a young course-angler fishing for various species such as roach and chub on light-float tackle. I think that's always been my thing and although beach-fishing was an integral part of my transition to salt-water, I'm pretty sure the tripod and multipliers are now relegated for the foreseeable future. 

Short and sweet this time, thanks for reading as always.. I'm off to make the most of our British summer.., it'll be gone again before we know it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment